Thursday 14 March 2013

Vintage Knitting

I was in our local yarn shop yesterday and I spotted a little basket tucked away at the back of one of the lower shelves.  I was delighted to see that it contained plenty of vintage knitting patterns.  Most of them were hideous 1980's patterns with big shoulder pads and gory bright colours.  But some were just so cute that I just couldn't bring myself to leave without them.


Don't you just love the hair do's in this one.  So elegant even after all this time.


This one has obviously well used and loved.  I think that it would be very easy to convert to a more modern pattern.


The kids patterns are ideal for knitting school uniform jumpers.  Just how sweet are those baby cardi's?


Yoked jumpers are very fashionable at the moment.  The lace stitch is just gorgeous.  The cardi may look a little dated but with some new yarn, I think that this would just look fantastic.  Plus I really love to knit with fingering weight yarn.  Any excuse!!


Finally, pardon the creases on this vintage tablecloth that I found in the local thrift shop.  It is so fresh and brightens up the kitchen no end.

Lucky vintage shopping lately.  I hope that this carries on.  There is something very satisfying about not only finding a great bargain but also finding things that were well loved by their previous owners.  
Do you get the same feeling when thrift shopping??

Rosie xx

5 comments:

  1. Those vintage knitting patterns are just fabulous! As you say, the ladies are so elegant.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the jacket/cardigan/jackigan(?) affair in the top pattern - would certainly give that one a go. I love the colours in the children's photos - almost luminous - sadly my memory of hand knitted school jumpers was of very tight bulky seamed polyester affairs that used to make my hair stand on end. I think wool has come on a lot since then though - after all that was in the last century x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to thrift shop, I find it so satisfying and exciting when I stumble across little treasures. Nice to also give something a new home that will be loved again. Great patterns! The ladies always looked so smart back then. Great finds! Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old patterns - you had a great find here! The Emu baby cardigans one is just like an old crochet pattern I destashed (stole!) from my mum :) Have a lovely weekend! Elisabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I am so envious that you found these, they're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I adore to see a comment popping up. If you have the time, please do leave a few words. I try my best to reply to all the comments that I get.
Rosie xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.